OTTAWA, ON—STACS DNA, the sample tracking company, today announced the launch of Track-Kit for Hospitals, which helps birth hospitals reduce delays and mitigate risks related to shipping newborn blood spot (NBS) screening specimens to the state laboratory. Track-Kit for Hospitals supports state mandates of saving babies’ lives and improving quality of life through early detection of treatable conditions.
Today, staff at hospitals can check their courier application to see if a package of NBS specimens has been delivered to the state lab, but few have a paper trail to confirm that all specimens collected that day indeed made it into the package. It takes time for busy hospital staff to monitor every shipment to ensure on-time delivery. When a specimen is missed, days may pass before anyone realizes; by then, urgent treatment for that baby may be delayed and pre-screening costs have doubled.
Expedites Screening and Mitigates Risk
Designed to save hospital nursery and lab staff time, mitigate risk and liability and save money, Track-Kit for Hospitals tracks all specimens, and alerts hospital staff when action may be required. More specifically, Track-Kit:
- Provides real-time status of individual specimens—not just packages
- Alerts hospital staff if specimen delivery is late to expedite location or recollection of the specimen
- Reduces the use of expired cards to increase quality and reduce cost
- Notifies hospital staff when a specimen has been delivered to the state lab, to meet hospital regulatory obligations
- Tracks blood spot card inventory so you never run out of viable cards
- Uses barcode scanning for easy tracking at every step
- Uses data from the current courier system, so no changes in the current courier arrangement are required
- Improves the shipping process by reducing data entry and automatically generating shipping manifests and labels
- Is cloud-based and easy to implement, requiring little to no IT department effort
“Hospitals face the daily challenge of providing exceptional patient care while under resource pressure,” said Jocelyn Tremblay, President and COO of STACS DNA. “Track-Kit can save hospital staff time by alerting them if they need to take quick action, such as expediting a delayed specimen or to address quality or inventory concerns. Now that Track-Kit has been proven in several states in other markets, we are confident to offer Track-Kit to hospitals together with OZ Systems.”
Tracks Both Babies and Specimens
Track-Kit for Hospitals will be available from reseller OZ Systems. To deliver additional value to hospitals, OZ Systems will offer Track-Kit as part of an integrated solution called OZ Newborn Screening Suite for Hospitals. This robust NBS information system provides hospital staff with accurate data about both the baby and the specimen, all in one place, using proven OZ solutions and industry standard technologies. OZ Newborn Screening Suite for Hospitals:
- Provides a baby-centric integrated child health record that tracks baby demographics and NBS information, in addition to specimens
- Reduces the risk of missing a baby by providing a worklist of babies needing screening
- Eliminates the errors and omissions related to hand-writing specimen cards
- Prints a label with state-required data elements which is affixed to the specimen card, providing legible and complete information
- Sends all required data to the state lab using an electronic lab order prior to delivery of the specimen
- Identifies if specimens have been left in the hospital due to a missed courier pickup
- Manages information for multiple specimens as they were collected for each baby
- Makes staff aware if the specimen was collected but never shipped
- Stores auditable information related to the baby’s specimen card
Track-Kit for Hospitals is part of the Track-Kit product line, which includes solutions for statewide newborn screening and sexual assault kit tracking.
For more information on Track-Kit, visit www.stacsdna.com/track-kit and https://www.ozsystems.com/hospitalsnbs.
About STACS DNA
STACS DNA delivers sample tracking systems to meet transparency, performance and regulatory expectations. Track-Kit™ tracks samples from collection to storage, preventing delayed or lost kits, and is the leading statewide sexual assault kit tracking system in the U.S. STACS® is the hub of automated DNA labs, providing an audit trail of all lab activity to maximize case throughput and minimize risk and errors. Our customers are federal, state, regional and local agencies, including many of the largest forensics DNA labs in North America. Visit www.stacsdna.com
About OZ Systems
OZ Systems is an innovator in global screening solutions, bridging crucial information gaps to ensure quality care and timely interventions for patients and those who care for them. We develop end-to-end newborn screening software that reduces human errors and improves patient safety, quality of care and intervention timeliness. We are recognized for interoperability, and innovation in design and partnerships. OZ Systems has projects with U.S. and international health care providers and public health agencies.
Read the OZ Newborn Screening Suite for Hospitals announcement; this offering from OZ Systems includes Track-Kit for Hospitals:
OZ Systems First-Ever Newborn Screening Suite for Hospitals Improves Patient Safety and Quality of Care for State-Mandated Screening
For More Information
Vice President, Marketing
STACS DNA Inc.
613-274-7822 ext. 2005